Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Christmas Postscript

I know it's way past Christmas, but I just got around to trolling my favorite blogs. This post, found at my sister's blog, is by far my favorite Christmas image. I'm one of those people who can't get excited about anything Christmassy after Christmas--but this one got me.

If you've ever lived in a big city, then you should know that "The Big Issue" mentioned here in Sara's post is the small daily paper sold by homeless individuals to earn money. There is a paper like it in every big city. They must register, and wear ID, and receive about 1/2 of the cost of the paper (usually about $1, or £1). We used to buy at least one a day. So Sara is right: this is quite the Santa. He gave the wide-eyed Harriet a Christmas gift by being Santa when he didn't have to be. I imagine she gave him a gift by wanting her photo with him. And, as Sara says, I hope he found the gift of a place to sleep that night.

No comments: